Send to KindleSend to Kindle

Liz Andra Shaw

Journey into the Creative Mind of a Writing Reader

Addicted to Office Supplies

January 6th, 2013
Send to Kindle

notebooks

This is not a picture of my notebooks. There are not enough notebooks in this picture, and they are not nearly colorful enough.

I love all office supplies, but my feelings for blank notebooks surpass “love” and enter into the realm of “addiction.”

Step 1 is realizing that you have a problem, right? Here’s what happened.

I had to give a speech at the last minute. It was a project speech from a Toastmasters manual, “Get Comfortable with Visual Aides.” In other words, this last minute speech would require preparation. All rightie then.

A 10 minute tour of the house convinced me that journaling would be a topic that I could easily talk about, and that I had visual aides readily available. I quickly outlined the speech and created a handout.

Finally, I chose some of my notebooks to take as visual aides. Only a few of them, mind you, but even so,my back pack was completely full. I was really going to impress the audience with my spectacular collection of journals!

Yes. Well, some people were impressed, but a few said they were so intimidated they didn’t think they’d ever be able to journal. Oops.

And so we come to Step 1 wherein I admit that I am powerless over blank notebooks and my journal collection has become unmanageable.

At this point my “recovery” process comes to an abrupt stop.

I like living this way, with “too many” (as if that’s possible) notebooks and journals. If someone decides not to journal because my collection is so fabulously massive, it just means there are more blank notebooks left in the world for me.

In fact, I was so inspired by my speech and all the exciting things I’ve used my blank books to accomplish that I bought a new one on my way home. I can’t wait to crack it open. There are so many wonderful things you can do with a blank notebook.

All kidding aside, the lovely folks in the audience found enough value in what I presented that I’ve been asked to put something together for Area Governor training at the end of the month. In addition, Think Tank Toastmasters asked me to form a committee to put together a plan to present to the District officers about a journaling toolkit and training for next year’s Area and Division governors.

Not a bad night’s work. I think I’ll journal about it!

Photo courtesy of puuikibeach on Flickr.
Send to Kindle

Comments

16 Comments

RSS
  • Mike Gardner says on: January 6, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hi Liz,

Sounds to me like your journal presentation has given you even more reasons to buy more journals, one for each of your projects at least, great blog

Mike
    Mike Gardner recently posted..Time Management and the 80/20 RuleMy Profile

• Liz says on: January 6, 2013 at 10:23 am

Oh Mike! You get me! Yes, I absolutely need more journals 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

• Diane @ Me, Him And The Cats says on: January 6, 2013 at 9:54 am

I have a lip product addiction! Not so much lipstick, but mostly tinted lipglosses and lip balms!
    Diane @ Me, Him And The Cats recently posted..Tips for Getting Your Furniture and Cat’s to Happily CoexistMy Profile

• Liz says on: January 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

Have you tried Badger Balm Mocha Cocoa? It is To Die For!

• Beth says on: January 6, 2013 at 9:56 am

That is so awesome that you got asked to do other jobs after your speaking engagement. Office Supplies are so much fun and I think everybody should be addicted to them. I refuse to look for all my notebooks I know I have tons of them and I have two that I carry with me on a regular basis and thats not counting the digital evernote that I use as well.
    Beth recently posted..Scrapbooking ClassMy Profile

• Liz says on: January 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

Oh, I know! Evernote is another addiction. Can you believe that I don’t have it at work? My job would be so much easier if I did. I don’t know how I survive without it!

• JL says on: January 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

I totally relate to this. I have way to many office supplies I don’t use, yet keep becasue I “might need them” in the future. Taming that tiger into something to use for Journaling is great. Of course, I should start a journal – but I never have time! lol.
    JL recently posted..Pain Management in the Long Term Care Facility – Part 3My Profile

• Liz says on: January 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

Time is always the issue, isn’t it? Sometimes I wish I had the power to stop time for just half an hour to catch up on things like journaling…

• Robin says on: January 6, 2013 at 11:03 am

What a great blog post! I really enjoyed it! Love your humor, and how awesome that your opportunity is leading you to other opportunities! Rock on!

• Liz says on: January 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thank you, Robin! So glad you enjoyed it!

• Stella Scott says on: January 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm

hahaha, you cracked me up on this one! 😀
    I too love notebooks, but Have decided enough is enough. Not very successful though, I don’t know how many digital versions I have on my iPad now… 😉

Greetings from UBC!
    Stella
    Stella Scott recently posted..Vitamin B5 benefits on inside, to help complexion on outsideMy Profile

• Liz says on: January 6, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I love Evernote for my electronic stuff. Oh, and the Notes section in EPIM. See, I even do it electronically! LOL Thanks for stopping by Stella!

• Jan says on: January 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I was chuckling to this. I will admit to having a “notebook of all things” that is actually several notebooks. One of which (at least) is usually in my handbag. I don’t journal as such, but I’m a jotter and note taker – from quick scribbled notes to full on spider diagrams outlining plans as they pop into my head…
    You’re not alone with your addiction, perhaps a notebook anonymous should be set up?
    Jan recently posted..15 Fabulously Free Online ToolsMy Profile

• Liz says on: January 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm

A lot of my “journals” are really jotting and writing things down I want to try or remember. As to the notebooks anonymous idea, why ruin a beautiful thing? 🙂

• Lynn says on: February 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Liz I can so relate to this blog. I have a really bad addiction to office supplies. I have so many pens and journals it just isn’t funny and I don’t know how to stop buying them. Does anyone know of a way to stop the addiction. I have so many that my great great grand kids will have some to use when they are born and grow up to use them.

• Liz says on: February 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Lynn, we should start a 12 step group! LOL Thanks for stopping by and having a laugh with me.